THE
History of Cedar Flat
1920’s
Cedar Flat became part of Fulton Estate. Cedar Flat was ~60 acres of steep hillside and lake frontage of 1200 feet.
1936
A second tract of land was added to Cedar Flat. And the road, now named Terrace, was scraped by the Forest Service.
1950
Cedar Flat Association was born because Bob Griffin did not have water to his house for two days. Pike Behm, the Forest Service District Ranger, asked Bob if he would be willing to form an Improvement Association. He wrote a constitution, a Board of Directors were appointed, the first meetings were held, and plans were made for a new water system and other improvements. All residents were assessed a sum of $50 and a 12,000 gallon water tank was placed at the top of the hill. The 12,000 gallon water tank enabled the Forest service to open the 3rd tract up at the top of the hill.
Late 1950’s
Cedar Flat Association, along with El Dorado County School system, and a Forest Service summer home tract raised $1M to do a land exchange and enable members of Cedar Flat Association to own 52% of their appraised lot.
1963
Cedar Flat Improvement Association officially recognized by the state of California.
1970’s
Because of continued problems with the water system, a deal was made with Fulton Water Company for them to own Cedar Flat’s water system. In exchange, Fulton installed six-inch water main lines, adequate storage, and a complete fire protection system. CFIA members paid for the fire plugs and their installation. This last fire plug was installed in 1972.